Answering the phone is not as easy as picking up the receiver. There are things
to avoid and techniques to utilize. The following tips for answering
services can help make every call a good one.
- Smiling: Representatives should smile when on the phone with a client.
Smiling changes inflection and tone during a phone call. The impression of
representatives helps place callers at ease and provides a great impression
for the business.
- Putting Callers on Hold: Callers are going to be placed
on hold; its unavoidable. There is a delicate way to do this and an abrasive
way. Callers like to be
informed about where theyre being transferred or how long they are going
to be forced to wait.
- Hanging up Last: A hasty worker may hang up the phone
before the client on the other end has a chance to finish what they were
saying. Its important
to make sure the other caller has made all of their points before ending
the phone conversation.
- Addressing the Caller: The tone and language used
in a phone conversation should be professional. Speaking with a client
too informally may give off
a bad impression or make the client feel uncomfortable.
- Speaking Clearly: A good businessperson attempts to speak very clearly. It is not professional
to make it difficult for a client to understand what is
- Listening Well: Listen carefully to the client. People do not
like to repeat themselves. A good technique to employ is to repeat particular
to the other caller.
- Reviewing Issues: Representatives should make sure that
they have touched upon all important issues of a call before hanging up.
Taking notes during
the call can help this process. Important information should be repeated,
and both callers should be aware of the next step and future expectations.
eating or drinking: Under no circumstance is it okay to eat or drink while
speaking to clients on the phone. It is unprofessional and can interrupt
speaking and listening abilities.
Whether a business uses an in-house answering
service or outsources, these
phone tips should be followed.